Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Fortunes Forecast

Once while on a trip I got stranded in a city 4 hours from home. My car overheated on a Sunday so there were no mechanic shops open. It was hot outside so I walked to a nearby Chinese restaurant to get some water. I was obviously distressed and the waitress brought me some water and tossed in a fortune cookie. I laughed as I read the ironic fortune contained inside: "What has been sufficient to take you this far is insufficient to take you any farther."

I kind of feel like I've reached a similar point in my life. I don't have a bad life and I am truly grateful for the many blessings I daily enjoy. What I mean is that I feel like I've not been doing enough, or anything for that matter. Kind of like I've assumed that simply by existing I've been doing my part. I'd like to change that, but I don't know exactly where to go from here.

I'm a young mother with three small children at home and I feel like my reach probably won't extend too far past my own front door. I suppose that I'll just have to start big in a small, albeit important, place. I'd like to act, instead of react, to my children. I'd lke to keep things in perspective. I'd like to take time to develop my talents, maybe even discover that I do have a personality. Changes will likely be gradual, but if you don't see me for a few years, I hope I'm different then than I am now.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I've been kinda feeling on that same wavelength...obviously a slightly different variation given our situations :P My fix? I am moving forward with the grad school thing. I hope you find your way out of that feeling. BTW, we got Isaac's card, cute :) Now because I am also getting my flower girl and ringbearer a gift, along with my bridesmaids, I was wondering if you had any suggestions of something he'd like