Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Shining Moment

Isaac was asked to give a talk in church on Sunday. The theme for this month is "Because I know we are all children of God, I will share the gospel with others." So Isaac and I wrote the following talk.

Heavenly Father wants all young men to serve a mission. I need to be strong and faithful to the gospel. I can prepare to serve a mission now by choosing the right. I can be a good example to others. I can be helpful at home. I can read the scriptures and be a part of Family Home Evenings. I know that I can be a missionary now and tell others of Jesus. I hope I serve a mission somewhere that has a beach. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

He helped dictate what he wanted to say and I wrote it down on a piece of paper. When it came time for him to give his talk he walked right up to the microphone. He didn't look for Jeremiah or me, waiting for us to come and help him. He stood up confidently and read his whole talk.

I was so pleased with him. I happened to look around the room and every adult in there had dropped their jaw in surprise that he could read so well. I was just happy that he was so excited to give his talk.

After he finished he took his seat with the rest of his class. He looked at his paper, raised an arm in silent triumph, and then kissed his talk.

2 comments:

Lindsey Lou said...

It is so fun to hear that! I remember sitting in Primary when Isaac was very afraid to talk and you had to stand right next to him and whisper the words in his ear. How exciting to see him grow!

Brianna said...

That is so cute, the silent triumphs of children. They are so proud over things that seem small to us, but huge to them.