Monday, July 13, 2009

Reconnecting on So Many Levels

I had an enjoyable week last week. Alisha, my best friend from HS, was in town from Virginia and after a failed attempt at getting together because of a sick child, we were able to see each other Wednesday night. Alisha brought her daughter, Genevieve, over and they kept me company in the kitchen while I prepared for a BBQ.

It was fun to be with Alisha again. We always had a lot of fun and I'm so thankful that we're still friends after all these years. Instead of swapping stories about our latest date or talking boys as we would in high school we spoke of our trials and triumphs as mothers and wives.

A couple of our neighborhood friends and their families came over for the BBQ and I think we all had a good time. There was lots of food and lots of laughing, so you know at least I was happy. The kids played and the parents chatted. After a while Alisha had to get going, but I was so glad that she took time out of her visit to come see me!

Our backdoor neighbors stayed for a while and watched Wipeout with us. Again, lots of laughter. I never get tired of watching people "eat it" on the big balls. I love having friends over, it helps me feel a little more connected!

On Thursday I loaded up the kids and drove to Katie's house. She has two homes for sale and was going to be painting, so I invited myself over to offer some help. (Although after our visit, I realize I wasn't much help at all.) Jeremiah was at scout camp helping out so the kids and I stayed the night. It felt very different for me to load up the kids on my own, make the drive myself, and be without a husband overnight. But I did it, and it was fun.

Our kids play well together and seem to enjoy each other, so that left plenty of time for Kate and I to visit and paint. After Josh got home we had a pleasant weenie roast over the backyard fire pit. It was just fun and relaxing (for me at least, I wasn't the one with a houseful of people...Thanks, Kate!)

We stayed until Friday afternoon, just long enough to walk to the park for lunch and let the kids play a little longer. I was also hoping that since it was Jack's nap time that he would sleep the whole way home. Um, I was not so lucky. Isaac quickly zonked and Kenley and Jack sat in the back arguing, singing, and just plain yelling.

We pulled into the drive Friday evening and I was relieved. I'd had a good time but I tire so easily with this pregnancy! I fed and bathed the kids, put Jack to bed and laid down on the couch. Isaac and Kenley were good not to wake me. I took a short nap and then we all laid in my bed reading until Jeremiah got home at 9. He took care of the kids after that...I was out!

Then on Saturday we went over to the church for an Elder's Quorum party. They had hamburgers and hot dogs and pot luck going on. After that they set off model rockets and water rockets. The kids and dads played out on the grass watching the launches while a lot of the moms sat in the shelter visiting and enjoying the warmth of the summer evening.

Like I said, I had a good week. I'm so thankful for good friends and neighbors! I'm also looking forward to this week as well. Jeremiah and I get to speak at Girl's Camp tomorrow night, we're having a picnic with the Seminary on Wednesday and a BBQ Wednesday night with more of my long-lost buddies from my school days. Then on Friday I get to leave kids and husband at home while I got to my mom's for my will-be-sister-in-law's bridal shower/slumber party!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Thanks so much for coming, Gwen. I love having you!