Sunday, June 24, 2007

50 First Words

At Kenley's 18 month check-up I was asked how her vocabulary was coming along. I told the Dr that she said about 20-25 words. He said that was great. For that age 8-9 words is average and he said she was ahead. She's really not a big talker and so I thought that perhaps I had exaggerated. When I got home I made a list of words that I knew she had said - even if I'm the only one who knows what she's saying. There were 27 words on the list. Since then I've been keeping a running list, writing new words (and phrases) as she learns them. So here are Kenley's 50 first words, in no particular order.

* dad * that * more * baby * dog * bird * poop * please* Isaac* garbage * wow * no * stop *
* teeth * brush teeth * don't do it * ball * Hi * bye-bye * shoes * uh-oh * off *
* ow * up * boo * bite * ew * go * book * mom * hold * fish * eat * Jack * ta-da! * eye *
* down * come on * wash * mine * me * help * work * gross * ride * Elmo * water * hug *

2 comments:

Katie said...

I was really surprised to see "mine" and "me" so far down the list! She's so smart!

Gwen said...

Oh! "Mine" is by far the most commonly used. Followed closely by "no" and "ew." (She often watched while I change Jack's diapers.)