Tuesday, July 17, 2007

On a Lighter Note

After this morning's excitement I thought I'd better lighten the mood of this blog. I've been meaning to post this awesome pie-crust recipe. It came in my Cuisine at home magazine and it's super easy. I think pies are pretty difficult but I was able to make a lattice-top pie crust for my blueberry pie using this pastry recipe. Super tasty + super easy = lots of pie for me this summer!

Flaky Pie Dough
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cold, cubed (8 Tbs)
1/2 cup shortening, cubed
1/3 - 1/2 cup ice water

Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender (or criss-crossing knives) until butter is pea-size. Add 1/3 cup ice water and blend with a fork. If needed, stir in more water 1 Tbs at a time until dough is moist and clumps, but isn't sticky. Divide in half, shape into disks, and wrap in plastic. Chill at least 30 minutes before rolling.

Makes 1 double-crust pie.

And here's my recipe for blueberry pie filling:
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs corn starch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 Tbs butter

Preheat oven to 425. Combine sugar, corn starch, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Take a handful of berries and mash them in the sugar combination until mixture is thick and well combined. Fold in the remaining blueberries. Pour into prepared crust and dot with butter. Cover with top-crust and cut holes for steam. Use a foil collar t prevent crust from over-browning. Place on lower shelf and bake 50 minutes or until filling is thick and bubbly. Cool on wire rack.

I also like to brush my top-crust with milk and then sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar.

When you die, if you get the choice between regular heaven and pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmm pie!

No comments: