Friday, March 06, 2009

I Should Have Roasted Marshmallows

Today I did something I've never done before: I started a fire on my stove top.

I had just put on some rice to cook when I looked down and saw smoke creeping up all around the bottom of the pan. I leaned in close to see what was smoking and saw a small lump just under my drip-pan starting to char and turn red when *WHOOSH* the burner ignited. I turned off the heat and removed the pan from the burner. Then I opened the pantry to find a lid to try and cover it. All my lids are glass so I opted for a saucepan instead. I inverted the saucepan and placed it over the burner before I realized that the flames would still have an oxygen supply from the other 3 burners. Not sure what else to do I just blew on the flames. Luckily this was on one of the small burners so it only took a few deep breaths to extinguish the flames.

I was able to remove the burner and drip pan with a pair of tongs. Under the drip pan was that same little piece of charred whatever. I ran it under some water before dropping it into the garbage. I cleaned off the drip pan - obviously something that was long overdue - and then returned everything to the stove and finished cooking my lunch. It was exciting and uneventful all at the same time.

On a side note, I can't wait for grilling weather!

2 comments:

E&A said...

Luckily your pretty little face didn't catch on fire! The first time I had a kitchen fire (in the microwave, apparently you can't put metal objects of ANY kind in there) I just watched it while my brain processed what was going on.

Adrienne said...

I started a fire like that once in college. I was not as calm as you and I broke out the fire extinguisher and sprayed it everywhere! What a mess! It was pretty funny though.