Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I Do All Right

Sometimes I wonder if I spend enough time with my kids. I mean I know I'm home with them all day, but am I really sharing my time with them? When I sit and think of how I've spent my time my day is often filled with housecleaning, running errands and the like. I know I've sat down and done a puzzle with Isaac, but did I give him the attention he really needs?

As a mother it's hard to find balance between finding time for the needs of the household, the needs of your children, the needs of your huband, and your personal needs. I know my mom usually put her own needs last, and maybe that's what it takes to be a great mother.

But last night as it was nearing bedtime I found Isaac having a battle between his Spiderman toothbrush and his Batman toothbrush. Their conversation went something like this:

Spiderman: Pya! Pya! (kick! kick!)...did I hurt you Batman?

Batman: Yeah.

Spiderman: I'm very sorry.

Batman: It's okay.

Spiderman: I'll kiss it better...Kiss.Kiss.

It was then that I interrupted and put Isaac in his jammie-jams and we brushed his teeth and went to his bed. I asked Isaac if we should pray, he answered by folding his arms and bowing his head. Then he helped me say prayers.

As we read a book, Isaac whispered the words along with me as I read them. After turning out the light he requested we sing "butterfly song", My Heavenly Father Loves Me. As I sang I was surprised to hear his sweet little voice singing all the words along with me:

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav'nly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him reverently
For all His creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heav'nly Father loves me.

At the conclusion of the song I emphasized that Heavenly Father does love Isaac, to which he promptly replied, "And Jesus loves Isaac." I kissed him goodnight, told him I loved him, and closed the door and realized I may not spend every moment of everyday with Isaac, but I do all right. He has a tender heart and is being taught the thing every child needs to know the most: he is loved.

1 comment:

Katie said...

You're certainly doing better than "all right", Gwen. Isaac is such a sweet, well-behaved, confident little boy. Kids like that don't make themselves, you know. Your children are lucky to have you for a mom.