Friday, March 31, 2006

My 3 Best Friends

As I've said before, I have a hard time making new friends. I generally like almost everyone when I first meet them but I think the problem enters when the other person actually has to like me back. Anyway, when I meet people I have a hard time knowing what kind of "get-to-know-you" questions are appropriate and not nosey. And also I have to gauge what they think of me before I can start making fun of them, which is my way of letting someone know I like 'em.

There have been only three instances in my life where I made an immediate, lasting friend. Each time that I made one of these friends someone had to step out of their comfort zone and just stick themselves out there.

Friend #1 - Alisha. Alisha and I went to high school together. I first met her in choir class. She came and introduced herself to me while the teacher was in her office and the class had some down time. I was surprised that someone would choose to talk to me out of an entire room full of people. But we were instantly friends and have been ever since. So thank you Alisha for looking for the "lonely" girl in the classroom and being her friend.

Friend #2 - Katie. Kate and I met in the summer of 1998, we were placed in the same "city" at Girl's State. Now the fact that I was even at Girl's State was a miracle. First of all, I knew very little about government. Secondly I had to compete for a spot against not only girls in my own school, but 3 surrounding schools as well. I decided that I would just open up and sell myself and somehow that landed me a spot at Girl's state. Well, on the first day when we arrived in Nampa, we all loaded onto a bus and rode into Boise to the Capital. By the time we got to the Capitol, Kate and I were friends. And I know she's a true friend because she still talks to me, even after the "toothbrush incident," (and the reenactment of said incident.) Thanks Kate.

Friend #3 - Jeremiah. After a few years of not making any new friends I decided once again to break out of my shell and meet new people. I had just finished my first year of college - okay, okay, my only year of college - when I moved home and started attending a singles ward. Pretty soon there was an overnight activity coming up but none of my "friends" were going. I really wanted to go and so I had to get over my fear of not knowing anyone by making it a point to try and get to know someone. So I went without the backup of already having friends attending and ended up riding in the same car as one of Jeremiah's best friends in high school. And I also got to meet my future brother-in-law, Joey.

Jeremiah was not at this outing. In fact his parents were with him at the time traveling all over New Zealand just before bringing him home from his mission. But because I went, I met Joey, and because I met Joey, I met Jeremiah and he has been my bestest friend and also has been lucky enough to call himself my husband. (Can you believe he thinks he is the lucky one? We'll let him figure it out.)

So the numbers may be few, but in this case, quality definitely outwieghs quantity. Not to mention I have a family full of people I consider my friends. And I wouldn't be me without any of you.

1 comment:

Katie said...

The thing is, though, all of us think we're the lucky ones to know the witty, funny, genuine, clever, loyal, fun YOU, Gwen, and get to call you our friend.