Monday, February 23, 2009

The Decision

Before Isaac left for school on Friday, he and I said a prayer that we would have help in making the right choice about school. I took Isaac over to the charter school for a tour and signed enrollment papers. As I was filling them out I had the distinct thought, "This is not right for you." I didn't have a bad feeling about the school itself, just that it was not right for us. Which kind of surprised me. I didn't say anything to Isaac about it, I wanted to see how he felt about it without his opinion being tainted by my own.

Anyway, after we got home Isaac said his own prayer to help him make a decision. I told him that I wouldn't ask him about it anymore but that when he felt like he had his answer he could tell me. That night we all loaded in the car and as we drove I started to tell Jeremiah that we had visited the school. As soon as I said the word "school," Isaac piped in, "Mom, I have my answer. I'll stay." I felt some tears in my eyes as I told him that that was the feeling I'd had too.

But I kept thinking about it. I was pretty confused because once you get an answer from the Holy Ghost you should have peace about it, but it was still on my mind. I brought it up to Jeremiah on Sunday and he said that even though I felt like I had my answer, I should still pray and ask if what I felt was correct. So Isaac and I knelt down again and offered a prayer to that effect. I felt more at peace...until I had a dream where Isaac was in the halls of the charter school.

I've finally concluded that I was battling the answer I received against the answer that I thought I wanted. I know several people who would jump at the chance to send their child(ren) to the charter school, and I think I've let that cloud my judgement. I was leaning toward the charter school, although I don't have any solid reasons.

At any rate, Isaac happily boarded the bus this morning to head off to another day of Kindergarten. He was happy to be seing the same classroom. He told me he didn't want to leave his teacher. I don't think he was afraid of change. I think he was just more open to the Spirit than I was. Once he made his decision, he didn't waver. He probably wondered why I kept bringing up the subject. I just want what's best for him. As long as he's happy, I'm happy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd totally struggle like you did. But you made the right decision! That's awesome you had Issac help pray w you and be open to the spirit and recieve an answer too. You're a good mommy!

Katie said...

I'm glad you've gotten your answer. I'm not good at distinguishing between what I want and what God wants. Sometimes I could use a billboard more than a still small voice.

Goldie said...

That "gut feeling" comes from somewhere, you know...

Glad you have your answer!

Alisha said...

I'm glad you are both open to the spirit to be able to receive the answers you need.

KC said...

wow. Isn't it amazing that a 5 year old can be so... wise? and sure of himself? Isaac is a good kid, and if he is meant to be at his school, then there must be a really good reason. Sometimes it would be nice to know what God has in store for us...