Tuesday, July 25, 2006

By Popular Demand

I have been making applesauce cookies lately. They remind me of my childhood. But I have to admit, I hated them as a child. I don't think that I disliked the way they tasted so much, it was more that these were the only cookies everyone else in the family seemed to always want. I wanted sugar cookies or oatmeal raisin...just some variety. Anyway, as an adult I have developed an appreciation for these cookies and their wholesome goodness. And so, without further delay, I present to you the recipe.

Applesauce Cookies
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cloves
2 cups sugar
2 cups applesauce
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
4 1/2 cups flour

2 cups oatmeal
2 cups chocolate chips
1/2 chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together butter, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, sugar and applesauce. Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to applesauce mixture and mix well. Stir in oatmeal, chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto greased cookie sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes. Let sit 1 minute before removing from pan to wire rack to cool. Makes about 7 dozen.

Note: I'm pretty sure that this recipe is for a double batch and can easily be halved.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Mmmmm...

Do you think they'd work on the grill? 'Cuz that's the only place I've been cooking lately. Hey, what about the crock-pot???

Anonymous said...

Yum, I'm going to try these when the weather gets cooler. Too many fires right now and extremely humid. I'm with Katie - can these be done on the grill, crockpot or how about the Pressure cooker? Aunt Cheryl

Priscilla said...

I don't know you...I was just browsin' around on blogs and found yours. The cookies sound good...I need something constructive to do and if I have all the ingredients, I'm going to make them now!

Thanks!