Saturday, July 01, 2006

In Which Isaac and I Discuss Death

My great uncle passed away recently. I went to the funeral on Wednesday and I had to take my kids with me. On the way to my mother's house Isaac and I had the following conversation:

Isaac: Are we going to Gammie's house?

Me: Yes, but only for a little while. Then we are going to a funeral. Gammie's uncle died.

Isaac: Gammie's uncle died?

Me: Yes. But do you know where people go when they die? Their body stays here, but their spirit goes to live with Heavenly Father and Jesus.

Isaac (echoing what I had just said): With Jesus.

Me: Yep. We have funerals so that we can say goodbye to the people we love. But we'll see them again when we go to live with Jesus too.

The car was quiet for a minute and then Isaac spoke these words, "He fell down and Jesus picked him up."

I was very touched at these words and in awe of the comprehension of my little 3 year old. I'm grateful that I didn't make up an explanation for death, such as "he's sleeping" or "gone bye-bye". I am glad that I could tell him what happens to the spirits of those who leave this life. I'm thankful to have that knowledge and that I can pass on my testimony of Jesus Christ and the Great Plan of Happiness to my children and others.

4 comments:

Karla said...

Children have the sweetest ways of putting things into words! Good for you for telling him about death in a way that was honest, but on his level. I'm sure he'll appreciate that kind of communucation as he grows.

I hope the funeral was lovely. My condolances.

Katie said...

Out of the mouths of babes, eh? He's such a wise little boy, and he's lucky that his mom and dad take time to explain things to him so that he can understand them.

Gina said...

Ditto what Katie says. That was a very touching encounter... what a sweet boy!

Anonymous said...

It is hard to explain things like this to the little ones. When my children's father died, I too had to explain it to them. I felt it was important for them to view him in the casket, for closure. It is one of the hardest things in life to go through, and makes us grow up sooner than we need too. You had a great explanation for Isaac. Good job MOM - Love Aunt Cheryl