Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Do Toddlers Get PMS?

Isaac sure has been moody lately. He's really acting out of character. The boy who is usually a joy to have around is copping an attitude and testing every boundary in this household. I'm not aware of any change that would have made such an impact on him as to make him act out, so I'm really at a loss for how to handle him.

He's not been really bad, but like I said, he's just not himself. He's usually a good sleeper and he's been waking up in the middle of the night - usually screaming hysterically about the same thing he was talking about right before he fell asleep. He doesn't eat much and I'm sure that has something to do with it but how do I get food into him if he won't slow down to eat? And he's been very disagreeable, that too is uncharacteristic.

Also, he seems to not care about any consequences. When he's doing something he knows he's not supposed to do and I start to reprimand him he immediately places his hands over his bottom. He knows that what is doing will probably warrant a swat across the behind, which I am sad to admit I have administered liberally in the last week. He's been sent to his room, put in time-out, and I've even tried to just ignore him. He always tells me that he's sorry after his punishment, and he can tell me what he is sorry for without me leading him to it, so I know he knows what he's doing is not okay.

Like I said, he's not been really bad. I know he's just testing me, but when do I get the pass/fail mark? How long should I expect this phase of boundary-pushing to continue?

An example of his mood swings.

This morning: You're my best girl in the whole world!

This evening: I never want to see you again!

Is it something I've done?

3 comments:

Millie said...

Hey there - thanks for the nice visit!

I don't know how old Isaac is, but is there any way he could be teething? :) Getting some 2-year-old molars or something? My Roz is 2 and still cranky every so often because of her teeth. Just a thought.

Now watch - the kid's 8. ;)

Gwen said...

He's 3, but I'm pretty sure he has all his teeth for a while.

Katie said...

Three was harder for me than two with Alli. I am in trouble if it's the same way with my Isaac.

It's his job to push limits, and he does it because he feels safe with you. That doesn't make it any easier on you, though. I think consistency is the key, and lots of talking. Can you ignore the minor stuff and heap praise on the good? I don't know...kids are hard.